Posted on

LW residents may qualify for monthly food supplements


CalFresh can help qualifying Leisure World residents receive healthy fruits and vegetables, among other groceries. Recipients receive a card similar to a debit card with money loaded every month to shop for more fruit, vegetables, protein and other healthy foods.

CalFresh is funded by the USDA and administered through the Community Action Partnership in Leisure World.

Requirements to Apply:

• You must have at least one citizen or legal permanent resident with a Social Security number living in your household (including children).

• You may qualify for CalFresh even if you have a full- or parttime job.

• Gross monthly income must be less than the amounts listed: One-person household, $2,128; two-person household, $2,874.

• Seniors, those on SSI or those with a disability can apply and may be eligible for CalFresh.

• Documents needed to apply: photo ID, Social Security card, proof of income and resident card (if applicable, receipt of rent and receipt of one utility bill).

Upon application, income and many other factors are taken into account to determine eligibility.

For more information or to apply online, call 1-800-281-9799 or go to https://www.mybenefitscalwin. org/. Residents who need assistance applying for CalFresh should contact Roberta Arshat in the GRF Member Resource and assistance liaison, at (562) 431-6586, ext. 317, or

CalFresh is the state’s implementation of the federal Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, formerly known as food stamps.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *