CalFresh can help qualifying Leisure World residents receive healthy fruits and vegetables, among other groceries.
Recipients receive a card similar to a debit card with money loaded every month to shop for fruit, vegetables, protein and other nourishing foods.
CalFresh is funded by the USDA and administered through the Community Action Partnership in Leisure World to help improve the health and nutrition of people with lower incomes.
Requirements to Apply:
• You must have at least one citizen or legal permanent resident with a Social Security number living in your household (including children).
• You may qualify for CalFresh even if you have a full- or parttime job.
• Gross monthly income must be less than the amounts listed: One-person household, $2,128; two-person household, $2,874.
• Seniors, those on SSI or those with a disability can apply and may be eligible for CalFresh.
• Documents needed to apply: photo ID, Social Security card, proof of income and resident card (if applicable, receipt of rent and receipt of one utility bill).
Upon application, income and many other factors are taken into account to determine eligibility. stores and many farmers markets to buy food. For more information or to apply online, call 1-800281-9799 or go to https://www. mybenefitscalwin.org/.
Residents who need assistance applying for CalFresh should contact Robann Arshat in Member Resources at (562) 431-6586, ext. 317, or Robertaa@lwsb.com.